The Elektrizitätswerke Schönau (EWS) evolved out of a citizens' initiative against nuclear power in 1991, which realized the idea of buying the local grid in 1997. EWS subsidises the creation of Renewable Energy units by its so-called "sun cent" that is part of the electricity tariff. Moreover, EWS is politically involved: The current campaign "100 good reasons" not only serves as customer acquisition, but informs about the problems and risks of nuclear energy as well.
Origin of electricity: mainly new, i.e. six-years-old or younger, hydro-power stations in Norway plus to a small extent combined heat and power units powered by natural gas (further information on the origin of EWS' electricity here)
Owner: the registered cooperative "Netzkauf EWS eG" (further information on the structure of the EWS company here)
Electricity customers: more than 115,000 (July 2011)
Get in contact with EWS Schönau: call +49 (0)7673-888 50 or email info[at]ews-schoenau.de
>> campaign "100 good reasons against nuclear power"
>> subsidy programme for customers' Renewable Energy units ("rebel power stations")
>> operation of local grid in Schönau and in neighbouring villages in the Black Forest
>> support of non-profit initiatives or projects concerning climate protection, the struggle against poverty and peace-keeping within the framework of the campaign "Klimaschutz+"
>> support of political/ civil commitment, e.g. of the association "Energie in Bürgerhand", which aims at de-privatizing utility companies
What are the characteristics of EWS' green electricity?
The following criteria have been inspected and certified by TÜV Nord:
- The electricity mix of EWS is completely free of power from nuclear or coalfired sources.
- 90% of the electricity EWS buys originates from Renewable Energy-powered installations and a maximum of 10% comes from highly efficient combined heat and power units powered by natural gas
- EWS guaranties the full supply with electricity for all customers at all times (based on 1/4-h values). This means the balance between the acquisition/ production of electric power and the delivery of the same is covered at all times.
- The CO2 emissions per kilowatt hour, which are hostile to the climate, add up to a maximum of 10% of the average emissions from electricity generation in Germany
- The operators of nuclear power plants or their subsidiaries do not hold any financial stakes in EWS or in the suppliers EWS purchases from
- EWS invests the "sun cents" from its electricity sales without delay in the support and creation of decentralized, eco-friendly units of Renewable Energies
- The accuracy of the information on the fuel mix, on the age and characteristics of the power stations and on the CO2 emissions given in the proof of origin are verified annually.
Electricity tariffs for private households from January 1st, 2011
Basic charge: 6.90 Euros per month (equals 82.80 Euros annually)
Energy rate: 23.9 Cents per kilowatt hour (equals 239 €/ 1000 kWh; a oluntary surcharge for the support of new installations is possible)
Price guarantee until December 31st, 2012; subject to any increase in taxes or other legal duties
Minimum term of the contract: there is none
Terms of notice: One month before the end of each month
The tariffs mentioned include all taxes. There are no further costs for you.
Did EWS convince you? Change now!
Offer for private households
Offer for business customers
Enquiry form for business customers
If your annual power consumption does not exceed 30,000 kWh, the tariff for private households applies. With a higher consumption, please ask for an individual offer (Email)