The Naturstrom PLC was founded in 1998 by members of several environmental organisations. The company invests 1.25 cents of each delivered kWh of electric energy into the expansion of Renewable Energies. This way, more than 170 new power stations have been built so far. Naturstrom purchases most of its green electricity directly from generators of decentralized wind and hydro power stations in Germany. Also being a distributor, Naturstrom places this eco-friendly electric energy at the disposal of regional electricity providers.
Origin of electricity: hydro and wind power stations, mainly in Germany (more information on the origin of Naturstrom's electricity here)
Owner: the eco eco AG is main share holder with 25% of all shares, about 880 small share holders with shares up to 5% make up the biggest part of the owners (more information on the stock corporation here)
Electricity customers: more than 200,000 (September 2011)
Get in contact with Naturstrom: call +49 (0)211-77900-300 or email info[at]naturstrom.de
>> Grüner Strom Label ("Green Electricity Label") that certifies green electricity
>> support of political/ civil commitment
>> partner of Bundesverband Solare Mobilität e.V. (German Association for Solar Mobility) with an own "electricity filling station" within the network "Park & Charge"
>> subsidy programme for Renewable Energy projects in developing countries, e.g. in Bangladesh, Madagascar, Cuba and Brazil. More than 1,000 small-scale solar collectors have been installed in cooperation with the NGO Andheri-Hilfe in villages in Bangladesh which were not connected to the national grid. Now many families are able to work and learn after sunset without being forced to burn expensive and health-damaging lamp oil (see press release from June 26th, 2010).
What are the characteristics of Naturstrom's green electricity?
Naturstrom's range of products has been labelled "Golden" by Grüner Strom Label certificate. This means the supplied electricity has to be 100% from Renewable sources and the creation of new power stations has to be subsidised with at least 1.25 Cent/ kWh gross.
In addition, Naturstrom meets the demands of the basic guideline for green electricity products no. 1304 of VdTÜV (issued February 2005), inspected and certified by TÜV Nord:
- The electricity mix of Naturstrom is completely free of power from nuclear or coal-fired sources, i.e. the electricity originates from Renewable Energy-powered stations only
- No harmful CO2 emissions are produced during the electricity generation
- Over 50% of the green electricity supplied by Naturstrom originates from small and medium-sized RE-powered installations in Germany which are independent from the corporations that run nuclear power stations
- The Naturstrom company itself is independent from nuclear corporations, their subsidiaries and from industrial concerns
- Naturstrom does not deal with RECS certificates that can be purchased separately from the physical electricity. This means, Naturstrom does not sell nuclear power certified as eco-power
- Naturstrom invests a part of its earnings from the electricity sales in the support and creation of decentralized, eco-friendly units run by wind, water, the sun and sustainably cultivated biomass
- The accuracy of the information on the electricity mix, on the age and characteristics of the power stations and on the CO2 emissions given in the proof of origin are verified annually.
Electricity tariffs for private households from October 1st, 2011
Basic charge: 7.95 Euros per month (equals 95.40 Euros annually)
Energy rate: 23.4 Cents per kilowatt hour (equals 234 €/ 1000 kWh; a voluntary surcharge for the support of new installations is possible)
Price guarantee until December 31st, 2012; subject to any increase in taxes or other legal duties
Minimum term of the contract: there is none
Terms of notice: 4 weeks before the end of each month
The tariffs mentioned include all taxes. There are no further costs for you.
Did Naturstrom convince you? Change now!
Offer for private households
Offer for business customers
Online form for business customers with an annual consumption up to 100,000 kWh (The form will be adapted to your consumption rate when filled in)
You may change online right away, if your consumption does not exceed 100,000 kWh annually. With a higher consumption, please ask for an individual offer (Email).